Voices: I Value Cultural Diversity – Prasad Bakre’s story

This post is a part of the NUS MBA Blog’s “Voices” series, where MBA candidates at NUS Business School share their personal stories.

Having worked and traveled to the USA, Europe and South East Asia, Prasad Bakre‘s key consideration for an MBA was cultural diversity. Just over a semester later, the NUS MBA Student Ambassador shares his story and some valuable tips for admissions into the NUS MBA.

prasad bakre nus mba

Why did you choose Singapore to pursue your MBA? And why NUS MBA? 

Singapore appealed to me for two main reasons. First, I had a reasonable work experience in Asia, and Singapore is the central hub of Asia – it was a natural choice for me to grow. Second, I was impressed with the the rich diversity in Singapore as well as in the NUS MBA cohort. I had already visited NUS in March and knew that the school was a really good fit for me.

What are some of the tips for admissions that you can share with prospective applicants?

I would suggest a few things: First, just be as genuine as possible. The admissions committee is already dealing with super-talented people, so it can easily make out if you are faking it. Second, sit back and ask yourself why you really want to do an MBA and whether the school you are applying to fits your life-strategy. And finally, DO NOT mix up applications. That is the worst thing a future manager can do!

How did you feel when you received an offer letter? 

I clearly remember that moment. I was preparing for my weekly sales meeting when my cellphone chimed, “Congratulations! You have been selected…” The message made me almost jump in the air! The admission process was very smooth. However, I did have to make few critical decisions about leaving my job, financing the MBA and relocating to Singapore. Right now, I am in a long distance relationship with my wife, since she works in Tokyo and I am in Singapore.

How has the NUS MBA experience been for you so far?

It seems just like yesterday when I sat at my UTown Residence, looking forward to our Orientation. The Outward Bound tour, followed by the Management Communication Camp, helped us know our cohort better. Classes, assignments, parties and studies were quite demanding. The first semester has definitely made me a wiser and a more mature person. I’m looking forward to more!

I believe that the NUS MBA is for those who have a keen interest in Asia and who value rich diversity. It’s amazing to see Indians, Columbians, Chinese and Singaporeans try some Bollywood dance moves on tunes of German songs during Oktoberfest! If all the above things AND some excellent leadership opportunities around the world excite you, NUS is just the place to be!

Could an NUS MBA equip you to be the next trailblazer? Find out more about the curriculumfaculty, and opportunities available on our website, mba.nus.edu.sg.