Voices: Banking on Career Growth – Elaine Xian’s MBA Story

Looking for ways to power up your career growth? Want to grow your exposure to commercial banking in the emerging markets of Asia? This post is part of the NUS MBA Blog’s “Voices” series, where MBA candidates at NUS Business School share their personal stories.

Asia Finance MBA

Photo credit: Luca Sartoni

Equipped with experience of Greater China’s commercial banking landscape, Elaine Xian Huipin discerned that the growth of the Southeast Asian region could help propel her career. Just over a year later, the Vice President of the NUS MBA Student Council shares her MBA story, one that has taken her on study trips in Taiwan and Spain, to India for a Graduate Business Conference, and to Deloitte & Touche ERS, Singapore, on a risk management internship.

Elaine, why did you choose to do an NUS MBA?

I wanted to stay in Asia to gain an in-depth understanding of the emerging markets and further develop my career in Southeast Asia (SEA) as the region showed signs of high growth prospects. The SEA emerging market is composed of not just one market but a number of diverse markets with different cultures, languages, custom, norms and practices. Equipped with my empirical experience of Greater China’s commercial banking industry, I ascertain that international exposure in SEA would further propel my career development.

I worked in Hong Kong for one year and felt that it was time for me to gain exposure in another financial hub in Asia. Singapore is located in the centre of SEA and many financial institutions operating in Singapore cover businesses across the region. Studying in NUS gives me an opportunity to gain access to the SEA market.

The NUS MBA had achieved a respectful reputation and ranking amongst the numerous MBA programmes in Asia and the world. The programme offers a curriculum embedded with Asian perspectives delivered by professors with a wealth of working experience in Asia.  I felt that the NUS MBA is the best choice for me.

What are you doing at the moment?

I have been doing an internship with Deloitte & Touche Enterprise Risk Services (ERS), Singapore since the summer of 2013. Aiming to return to the commercial banking industry and specialising in corporate and commercial finance, I regard risk management as something that is of high importance in evaluating the clients’ credibility and capability of sustaining their business. In Deloitte & Touche ERS, through providing consulting services to clients, I had gained perspectives of risk evaluation and mitigation of risks in the manufacturing and shipbuilding industries.

What do you like about the NUS MBA programme?

There are many things that I like about the NUS MBA. The most impressive thing about the NUS MBA is my outstanding and diverse classmates coming from all over the world, from whom I get many of my insights from.

Working with them in different teams and across various projects enhances my capability of cooperating in a diverse group. Professors and guest speakers are impressive and inspirational, offering academic theories and empirical experiences. The staff from the MBA Office and Career Services Office is always ready to offer help with regards to career counseling.

Last but not least, events and activities organised by the student council and the various clubs and societies are great platforms for me to know more about my cohort and the cultures of different countries.

Is the NUS MBA the career investment you should bank on? Find out more about the curriculumfaculty, and opportunities available on our website, mba.nus.edu.sg.