NUS & KPMG – Battle on Cricket Grounds

Surya reports on a cricket friendly between the NUS MBA team and KPMG at the Ceylon Sports Club.
As I passed through the Ceylon sports club near the Farrer Park MRT about a month back, I wondered if I would get to play on that lovely ground.

This small dream of mine came true quickly when I heard that the NUS MBA team was going to play a friendly cricket match against KPMG at the very same venue. I was also excited because of my extreme love and passion for the game of cricket and felt it could prove to be an exclusive opportunity to catch up with some folks from KPMG to find out more about their operations and work culture in Singapore.

Coming to the match, we had an early start by 7:30 am on a nice warm Sunday morning and due to overnight rains, the outfield was wet. Srini and I opened the bowling and did well to restrict them in the first five overs but the first breakthrough came from Eesh’s gentle off-spin. Despite getting wickets at regular intervals and some tight bowling in the middle by Bilal, KPMG batters played out of their skin to post a challenging 199 of 25 overs. As usual being MBAs from a top B School we showed how to organise and plan quickly in order to end up as the winners.

NUS got off to a shaky start but Kashif along with Rahul ensured there were no further hiccups and put on a brave partnership that brought the 100 up in no time. But once Rahul got out, Kashif started running out of partners and he finally lost his wicket for a well made 75. After that the asking rate climbed up rapidly leaving us with hardly any chance and NUS was eventually bowled out for 25 runs short of target with 10 balls to spare.

However it was a well fought match and I enjoyed the great camaraderie within the team, which will make me miss NUS and its great students even more as my exchange term comes to an end by early December. I would also like to thank the MBA office as well as all my team members for this great day.

Surya Raghava Srinivasan 
Full time MBA Exchange Student
University of British Columbia